[alto] WGLC for draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-11
Vijay K. Gurbani
2018-06-20 15:20:13 UTC
All: This email announces the WGLC for SSE [1]; the WGLC runs from Wed,
Jun 20, 2018 to Wed, Jul 4, 2018.

We will like the community members to perform an in-depth review of the
draft and post their comments, concerns or approval to the mailing list
during this period, even if it is one liner expressing support for
moving the draft ahead.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-11

Thank you,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani / ***@nokia.com
Network Data Science, Nokia Networks
Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq
Y. Richard Yang
2018-07-02 03:32:39 UTC
Dear WG,

Thanks a lot for those who already sent comments to the authors! As an
important service, this document can benefit from in-depth reviews, as
Vijay pointed out.

The main substantive comment so far is on clarifying the coupling between
the Update Stream Service (USS), which will be used by the network to send
SSE Update Messages to a client, and the Update Stream Control Service
(USCS), which will be used by the client to control the server, by sending
add/remove of resources messages. In the current design, SSE update
messages can provide the final outcome of a control request. The comment
was whether this is a generic design.

After extensive discussions among the authors, we propose to make the
following revisions---these revisions will be simple and clean, and if
approved by the WG, they can be updated right away:

M1. The document clarifies that USS uses a *modular* design, in that the
Update Stream Service (USS) is a modular service. Hence, it can be
controlled by not only USCS but also other potential control channels, such
as a private control protocol. Hence, the messaging of USS, in particular,
its Control Update Messages, should be (slightly) revised to reflect this
spirit.

M2. The document clarifies that USS uses a self-contained design, to take
advantage that current design can be simply, elegantly extended to also
report error updates.

The authors request that the WG approve these edits so that the authors can
proceed to submit a revision shortly, in just a couple days.

Of course, the authors will also wait for other comments, until the July
4th closing, to make a single, coherent edit.

Thank you so much!
Richard

Vijay K. Gurbani
2018-07-02 13:34:10 UTC
Folks: Following up on Richard's email, we need a dedicated WGLC review
for SSE from the WG. Jan and I will like to invite at least one person
who is not an author to volunteer to review the draft as part of WGLC.

Thus far, besides Richard's email, there has not been any review or
comments on the draft since it was released for WGLC. We will need to
be more proactive as a WG to move pending work ahead.

Please send me and Jan a message on whether you are able to perform a
review of the draft in short order so we can move it ahead expeditiously.

Thank you,

- vijay
Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq
Y. Richard Yang
2018-07-02 14:46:07 UTC
Vijay,

The ideas that I posted were discussed with Sabine, Jensen, and Danny, who
are not co-authors of the document.

I assume that they are busy today, as 8 pm ET today is IETF draft deadline.
Maybe they can help with our review tomorrow (July 3) or the day after
tomorrow (July 4), before the close :-)

Thanks!
Richard

=====================================
| Y. Richard Yang <***@cs.yale.edu> |
| Professor of Computer Science |
| http://www.cs.yale.edu/~yry/ |
=====================================
Vijay K. Gurbani
2018-07-02 15:08:32 UTC
Richard, one of them must provide a WGLC review for the draft. The WG
must to due diligence through dedicated reviews to ensure that the work
reflects the consensus of the WG.

I will like to see new members to start contributing to the WG, as such
while my preference would be for Danny to review the draft and post WGLC
comments, I will leave it to the WG members to decide who will review it.

I was hesitant to ask Sabine and Jensen since, in all fairness, they
have done their share of reviews and comments over the years. I
iterate, it would be great if other members of the WG step up to move
the work ahead.

>From a process point of view, I realize that the cutoff is today so I am
expecting that we will not be in time to submit a version. However,
that is fine as long as we have a WGLC on the currently submitted draft
by the time we have our meeting on Monday, Jul-16.

After the meeting, I can do the proto-writeup and move the work ahead.

Cheers,

- vijay
Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq
Y. Richard Yang
2018-07-02 22:12:58 UTC
Dear WG,

The authors have gone ahead to fix the coupling issue between update stream
and stream control. To allow the community to read what the document reads
like, we have uploaded the newer version, which can be found at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse/
Please see version 12.

It is a much cleaner, modular, complete design. Last-call feedbacks, of
course, are still highly appreciated and the authors will update as soon as
possible, to improve on reactiveness.

Thanks a lot!
Richard

=====================================
=====================================
Vijay K. Gurbani
2018-07-02 22:43:51 UTC
Kerim: Great, thanks a lot for volunteering.

Please post your review on the WG email list.

I suspect that you are getting acquainted with IETF processes; in that
vein, here's some quick advice that I hope will help you as you perform
a WGLC.

A WGLC covers the entire I-D, you can point out anything in the draft
that you feel needs to be improved. Generally speaking, every reviewer
has their own style of performing WGLC reviews, you can see some
examples here [1, 2]. However, all reviews should include issues that
are 'major' (needs attention of author AND WG to moving the work ahead),
minor (may only need the attention of author to clarify things), and
'nits' (needs attention of authors only). It is okay if one or more of
these categories is empty, however, due diligence must be done to ensure
that there were indeed no issues to raise under that particular category.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg03581.html
[2] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg03513.html

Cheers,

- vijay
Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq
Kerim Gokarslan
2018-07-03 18:21:26 UTC
Dear Vijay and WG,

I finished reviewing the draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-ssef document (version
12). I think the language of the document and the design is clean and
complete. I didn't see any major technical issue (or design errors) but I
marked some small issues like spelling and punctuation errors, which can be
seen as 'nits'.

Page 4, Paragraph 3, Line 3: provides -> provide (noun is plural)

Page 4, Paragraph 4, Line 6: satsify -> satisfy (spelling)

Page 6, Paragraph 2, Line 7: sends -> send

Page 6, Paragraph 2, Line 1: Update Stream Control (spelling)

Page 12, Section 4.3.1, Line 1: the difference (missing the)

Page 15, Paragraph 3, Line 6: An data -> a data

Page 15, Paragraph 4, Line 1: A update -> an update

Page 15, Paragraph 4, Line 2: life time -> lifetime

Page 17, Last Paragraph, Line 3: an URI -> a URI

Page 26, Section 9.1 Paragraph 3, Line 1: Also note -> Also, note (missing
comma)

Page 28, Section 9.2 Paragraph 1, Line 10: Thus server -> Thus, server
(missing comma)

Page 30, Paragraph 2, Line 2: a ipv4 -> an ipv4

Page 40, Paragraph 2, Line 3: Unfortunately there -> Unfortunately, there
(missing comma)

Page 42, Paragraph 1, Line 2: First consider -> First, consider (missing
comma)

Page 42, Section 11.4 Paragraph 1, Line 7: extention -> extension (spelling)

Page 42, Section 12.1: I think the first paragraph is a little confusing,
maybe the idea can be specified more explicit.

Page 44, Paragraph 3, Line 1: Alternatively an -> Alternatively, an
(missing comma)

Regards,
Kerim Gokarslan

Dawn Chan
2018-07-04 02:09:58 UTC
Kerim:

Thanks for the review. Fix soon.

Thanks,
Dawn

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Vijay K. Gurbani <***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>> wrote:
> [...]

> > > <***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>>>
> > <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>>>>>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > All: This email announces the WGLC for SSE [1]; the
> WGLC runs
> > from Wed,
> > > Jun 20, 2018 to Wed, Jul 4, 2018.
> > >
> > > We will like the community members to perform an
> in-depth
> > review of the
> > > draft and post their comments, concerns or approval
> to the
> > mailing list
> > > during this period, even if it is one liner

- vijay
Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq
Isabelle Carson
2018-07-04 18:59:01 UTC
Dear WG,

Here is my review of draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-12. I didn’t see
any major issues, but here are some short comments on
grammatical/spelling/readability errors that I noticed throughout the
paper.

--------------------

1. Introduction

--------------------

[comment about Kerim’s review] Page 4, paragraph 3, line 3: it should be
‘provides’ not ‘provide’, because the verb is describing ‘integrating’

Page 4, paragraph 4, sentence 2: We intend *that* the mechanism *can* also
support new ALTO services -> We intend *for* the mechanism *to* also
support new ALTO services

Page 4, paragraph 4, line 6: need -> needs

Page 4, paragraph 5, sentence 3: With the background, -> Following the
background,

------------

3. Terms

------------

Page 5, paragraph 4, sentence 1:
 and sent
 ->
 and is sent

Page 5, paragraph 4, sentence 2: can be either a full-replacement or an
incremental-change message -> can be either a full-replacement *message* or
an incremental-change message

Page 5, paragraph 4, sentence 3: Full replacement is a shorthand for a *full
replacement* message
 -> Full replacement is a shorthand for a
*full-replacement* message

Page 6, paragraph 2, sentence 1: update stream, is -> update stream is
(unnecessary comma)

Page 6, paragraph 2, sentence 1: notify the client *on* -> notify the
client *of*

Page 6, paragraph 2, sentence 3: notify the client *on* -> notify the
client *of*

Page 6, paragraph 3, sentence 1: to request addition or removal -> to
request *the *addition or removal

Page 6, paragraph 4: Updatea Strem Control Service -> Update Stream Control
Service (spelling error)

-------------------

4. Background

-------------------

Page 6, section 4.1, paragraph 2, sentence 2: to the server*,* and
keeps the connection open -> to the server and keeps the connection
open (unnecessary comma)

Page 7, figure 1, last line: should either be ‘goodbye’ or ‘good-bye’,
not ‘good bye’

Page 9, paragraph 1, sentence 1: patch and a demonstration of the
feasibility to apply JSON merge patch -> patch and *as* a
demonstration of the feasibility *of applying *JSON merge patch

Page 10, sentence 1: Applying the merge patch update to the initial
network map is equivalent to the following ALTO network map ->
Applying the merge patch update to the initial network map gives
something equivalent to the following ALTO network map

Page 10, section 4.2.2.2, sentence 2: Assume *is* a simple example ->
Assume a simple example

Page 11, last sentence after the example: is equivalent to -> gives
something equivalent to

Page 12, paragraph 1, sentence 3: When the change is to make a small change
to an array -> When making a small change to an array

Page 12, paragraph 1, line 9: as JSON merge patch processing algorithm ->
as *the *JSON merge patch processing algorithm

Page 12, section 4.3.2, sentence 1: both as examples of JSON patch and
demonstration of difference -> both as examples of JSON patch and *as
a *demonstration
of *the *difference

Page 14, top example: I believe it should be “op”: “add” instead of “op”:
“replace” for defining PID3->PID3 as 1

---------------------------------

5. Overview of Approach

---------------------------------

Page 14, paragraph 3, sentence 2: the update stream services*,* and
declares -> the update stream services and declares (unnecessary comma)

Page 15, paragraph 3, line 5: one resource*,* and is sent -> one resource
and is sent (unnecessary comma)

Page 15, paragraph 3, sentence 4: encoded either as a full replacement or
an incremental change -> encoded either as a full replacement or *as *an
incremental change

Page 15, paragraph 4, line 4: shutdown -> shut down

6. Update Messages: Data Update and Control Update Messages

Page 16, section 6.1, sentence 1: Data update and control update
messages -> Data update *messages* and control update messages

Page 16, section 6.1, line 3: the data field*, *and an optional -> the
data field and an optional (unnecessary comma)

Page 18, paragraph 1, sentence 2: that the server starts data update
messages -> that the server *will start sending* data update messages

----------------------------------

7. Update Stream Service

----------------------------------

There is an excessive use of commas in this section, which makes it
harder to understand.

Page 19, paragraph 1, sentence 1: wants updates*,* and has -> wants
updates and has (unnecessary comma)

Page 19, paragraph 1, sentence 2: each such resource*, *and -> each
such resource and (unnecessary comma)

Page 19, paragraph 2, sentence 2: error response*,* and -> error
response and (unnecessary comma)

Page 19, paragraph 3, sentence 1: ALTO resource*, *and -> ALTO
resource and (unnecessary comma)

Page 19, paragraph 3, sentence 2: error response*,* and MUST -> error
response and MUST (unnecessary comma)

Page 20, paragraph 4, sentence 1: control requests*, *and is ->
control requests and is (unnecessary comma)

Page 20, paragraph 4, sentence 2: error response*,* and MUST -> error
response and MUST (unnecessary comma)

Page 21, section 7.5, sentence 2: server can always send -> *the
*server can always send

Page 22, section 7.6.2, paragraph 4, sentence 2: after the data update
messages -> after *sending *the data update messages

8. Update Stream Control Service

Page 24, paragraph 2, sentence 1: update stream instance*, *and will
-> update stream instance and will (unnecessary comma)

Page 25, section 8.6, sentence 2: ALTO error code*, *and MUST NOT ->
ALTO error code and MUST NOT (unnecessary comma)

----------------

9. Examples

----------------

Page 28, section 9.2, paragraph 1, line 10: Thus server -> Thus*, the *server

Page 29, sentence 1: After sending those events immediately -> After
immediately sending those events

Page 29, sentence 2: the cost map*, *PID1->PID2 is -> the cost map*.
*PID1->PID2 is

Page 30, paragraph 2, line 2: *a* ipv4 prefix -> *an *ipv4 prefix

Page 30, paragraph 2, line 4: the network map*, *and send -> the
network map and send

Page 31, section 9.3, line 3: “routingcost” cost map*,* and provides
-> “routingcost” cost map and provides (unnecessary comma)

Page 34, line 2: are stopped*, *and -> are stopped and (unnecessary comma)

Page 34, section 9.4, line 2: set of endpoints*, *and -> set of
endpoints and (unnecessary comma)

10. Client Actions When Receiving Update Messages

Page 38, paragraph 2, sentence 2: There are at least two ways a client
can do that. -> There are at least two ways a client can avoid making
this mistake.

Page 39, paragraph 2, line 2: in a buffer*, *and continue -> in a
buffer and continue (unnecessary comma)

Page 39, paragraph 3, line 3: temporarily invalid*, *and ->
temporarily invalid and (unnecessary comma)

Page 39, paragraph 4, line 6: resources*, *and give -> resources and
give (unnecessary comma)

11. Design Decisions and Discussions

Page 40, paragraph 2, line 2: Server Push item*, *and -> Server Push
item and (unnecessary comma)

Page 40, paragraph 5, line 2: optional*, *and -> optional and
(unnecessary comma)

Page 41, paragraph 2, line 1: drop connections*, *and will -> drop
connections and will (unnecessary comma)

Page 41, paragraph 4, line 5: *c*ost maps -> *C*ost maps (capitalization error)

12. Miscellaneous Considerations

Page 43, section 12.3, paragraph 1, line 6: and Client -> and *the *Client

------------------------------------

13. Security Considerations

------------------------------------

Page 44, paragraph 1, line 5: of active streams*, *and -> of active
streams and (unnecessary comma)

Cheers,
Isabelle Carson

Vijay K. Gurbani
2018-07-09 15:54:24 UTC
All: The WGLC for draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse is now over.

Authors, please attend to the review comments by releasing a new version
that incorporates these.

We will move the document ahead when the new version becomes available.

Cheers,

- vijay
Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq
Y. Richard Yang
2018-07-09 17:19:13 UTC
Thanks a lot, Vijay, for the shepherding; Isabelle, Dawn, Kerim for the
reviews.

The authors are revising the document and will upload a new version
addressing the reviews right after draft submission reopens.

Richard

Y. Richard Yang
2018-07-09 17:41:28 UTC
Dear WG,

Just to clarify, the authors will revise SSE will fix the following issues:

1. fix text issues conveyed in the reviews

2. go over the server names and make the names of the servers consistent
(ALTO server, update stream server, stream control server);

3. clarify the stream control response codes
{204 + standard alto error codes} ->
add 202 Accepted

4. make a slight revision of the control update message syntax to be more
compact and extensible.

SSE is an important capability. If we miss any major items, please do let
the aithors know. We plan to make a pass before the ALTO session Monday
next week---exactly one week from today.

Thank you so much!
Ricard

=====================================
=====================================
Dawn Chan
2018-07-05 00:58:27 UTC
> [...]

> > > <***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>>>
> > <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>>>>>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > All: This email announces the WGLC for SSE [1]; the
> WGLC runs
> > from Wed,
> > > Jun 20, 2018 to Wed, Jul 4, 2018.
> > >
> > > We will like the community members to perform an
> in-depth
> > review of the
> > > draft and post their comments, concerns or approval
> to the
> > mailing list
> > > during this period, even if it is one liner

- vijay
Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq
Dawn Chan
2018-07-05 01:00:41 UTC
Hi Kerim,

I go through the document but did not find the spelling error: Page 6, Paragraph 2, Line 1: Update Stream Control (spelling), could you please show more words maybe a sentence?

Thanks,
Dawn

> [...]

> > > <***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>>>
> > <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>
> <mailto:***@nokia.com<mailto:***@nokia.com>>>>>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > All: This email announces the WGLC for SSE [1]; the
> WGLC runs
> > from Wed,
> > > Jun 20, 2018 to Wed, Jul 4, 2018.
> > >
> > > We will like the community members to perform an
> in-depth
> > review of the
> > > draft and post their comments, concerns or approval
> to the
> > mailing list
> > > during this period, even if it is one liner

- vijay
Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq
Kerim Gokarslan
2018-07-05 18:18:03 UTC
Hi Dawn,

Line is

Stream Control: A shorthand for Updatea Strem Control Service.

This is just before the section 4.

Regards,
Kerim